Dolores Huerta speaks up for LGBT Equality in “Familia es Familia” Video
Washington, DC [CapitalWirePR] June 10, 2013 –Almost one year old, a comprehensive public-education campaign called Familia es Familia is gathering momentum. Today the initiative is releasing a new online public advertisement featuring civil rights leader Dolores Huerta showcasing the importance of marriage for same-sex couples. The video can be viewed here: http://familiaesfamilia.org or http://familiaesfamilia.org/talk/video/ .
As support for marriage grows across America, Latinos show some of the strongest backing. Familia points to an October poll by NBC that shows 60% of Latinos support marriage for same-sex couples. Another survey by Latino Decisions found that 64% of Hispanic voters believed comprehensive immigration reform should include the same rights for same-sex couples as for opposite-sex couples.
The Dolores Huerta PSA is another milestone in the initiative’s mission of strengthening Latino voices within and from the Latino community for acceptance of LGBT family members.
About Familia es Familia
Familia es Familia is a bilingual campaign providing resources and information that are culturally appropriate to empower voices within and from Latino families and communities. In addition, the campaign provides training, technical assistance, and support to more than 20 Hispanic organizations. Familia is spearheading a national effort to educate the public through a range of viral components including: an interactive bilingual website rich with videos, resources, and publications; social media platforms such as Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube; promoting stories and voices in the media; and an organizing campaign to engage the community through their mobile devices.
· Congressional Hispanic Caucus Institute (CHCI)
· Cuban American National Council
· Dolores Huerta Foundation
· Hispanic Federation
· Hispanic National Bar Association
· Labor Council for Latin American Advancement (LCLAA)
· LatinoJustice PRLDEF
· League of United Latin American Citizens (LULAC)
· MANA – A National Latina Organization
· Mexican American Legal Defense & Educational Fund (MALDEF)
· National Association of Hispanic in Publications
· National Council of La Raza (NCLR)
· National Hispanic Council on Aging
· National Hispanic Foundation for the Arts
· National Hispanic Media Coalition
· National Hispanic Medical Association
· National Puerto Rican Coalition
· SER Jobs for Progress
· Southwest Voter Registration Education Project
· US Hispanic Chamber of Commerce
· US Hispanic Leadership Institute
Freedom to Marry provided the seed funding and serves as fiscal sponsor for Familia es Familia. The Gill Foundation has also committed to providing additional resources.
For more information, please visit www.familiaesfamilia.org