Helping Spanish Speaking Children in Hospitals Across the US
Free Journal for Spanish Speaking Children. Offering a very unique and groundbreaking way of helping children work through and beyond illnesses.
“You don’t have to ACT strong – you can BE strong, “ is a favorite motto of youth counselor, author and philanthropist– Sheri Sobrato Brisson.
Brisson is a long-term survivor of brain cancer and numerous operations and hospitalizations as a child. She is making it her life’s work to support the “healing process” for youth dealing with a health crisis; not just cancer, but kids in outpatient treatment, kids at special medical camps, kids in palliative care, kids in remission, kids undergoing physical rehabilitation, kids on dialysis and more and she sees a huge need in the Spanish speaking communities.
Brisson with co-author, Rose Offner, MFA have developed a unique and creative style of journaling to help build children’s emotional strength. Digging Deep: A Journal for Young People Facing Health Challenges teaches that “being strong” is showing one’s vulnerability and true feelings. Digging Deep provides an engaging, fun, and affordable resource to build a child’s emotional strength.
Digging Deep officially released October 15, 2014 in English and already received the prestigious Mom’s Choice Awards and Gold Medal Spirit Award at the Moonbeam Children’s Book Awards. Digging Deep is one of only four Spirit Award winners in the country. Spirit Awards are given “for dedication to children’s books and literacy and for inspired writing, illustrating and publishing.”
Brisson wanted to make sure that children that are Spanish speaking also had the opportunity to receive this tool and she will release it in a Spanish version officially in 1st quarter 2015. As with the English version, she will be donating it to hospitals across the US where Spanish is predominant and will give it to any sick child that requests it.
In a powerful, inspiring, motivational, and informative interview, Brisson will discuss:
- The philanthropic cause she is leading to get this tool in the hands of thousands of Spanish speaking children across the United States!
- How having a tool such as Digging Deep would have helped her when she was going through her illnesses
- Why she knows the emotional needs of sick kids are not being addressed
- The professionals who are already using Digging Deep as a tool in leading institutions such as: Lucile Packard Children’s Hospital Stanford, Joe DiMaggio Children’s Hospital, UCSF Benioff Children’s Hospital, St. Jude’s Children’s Hospital, Texas Children’s Hospital, American Cancer Society San Jose, Advocate Lutheran Children’s Hospital, Soaringwords, and Team G Foundation
- The impact she has already seen with children, families and professionals using Digging Deep as a tool for self-expression and communication
- How a parent or organization can get involved with this philanthropic cause
To find out more, how to donate and get involved visit www.diggingdeep.org.
Ramon, we look forward to hearing from you. Courtesy copies of the Spanish advanced copy of Digging Deep are available upon request.