CAMDEN, N.J.–(BUSINESS WIRE)–American Water (NYSE: AWK), the largest publicly traded U.S. water and wastewater utility company, announced today it earned the 2022 WaterSense® Excellence in Education and Outreach award from the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (“EPA”).
“American Water is honored to receive the 2022 WaterSense® Excellence Award from the U.S. EPA,” said Cheryl Norton, Executive Vice President and Chief Operating Officer, American Water. “We look forward to our continued partnership with WaterSense and providing ongoing thought leadership, education and promotion of water efficiency with our customers.”
WaterSense is a voluntary partnership program sponsored by the U.S. EPA and both a label for water-efficient products, as well as a resource for helping consumers save water. Annually, the EPA recognizes WaterSense award winners who help to advance the program’s success by enhancing the market for water-efficient products, practices and services.
Together, with our subsidiaries, American Water was recognized for:
- Promoting WaterSense labeled products through conservation educational programs across our national footprint.
- Creating a downloadable Water Leak Detection Kit—a helpful guide for locating indoor and outdoor water leaks.
- California American Water hosted webinars and workshops on the benefits of smart irrigation controllers, how to program a controller, water-smart landscaping design and drought-tolerant gardening.
- Illinois American Water featured a Water Learning Center on its website to educate residents on finding and fixing leaks and other types of water conservation.
- New Jersey American Water partnered with the Alliance for Water Efficiency to conduct research on using smart irrigation controllers to save water for peak demand management, as well as published a study in the Journal AWWA, which continues to inform several other utility outdoor water efficiency programs.
American Water was honored as the 2022 WaterSense® Excellence in Education and Outreach award recipient during a ceremony earlier today, at the WaterSmart Innovations Conference and Exposition in Las Vegas, Nev.
About American Water
With a history dating back to 1886, American Water (NYSE: AWK) is the largest and most geographically diverse U.S. publicly traded water and wastewater utility company. The company employs more than 6,400 dedicated professionals who provide regulated and regulated-like drinking water and wastewater services to more than 14 million people in 24 states. American Water provides safe, clean, affordable and reliable water services to our customers to help keep their lives flowing. For more information, visit amwater.com and diversityataw.com. Follow American Water on Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn.
Manager, Corporate Communications